Tuesday 1 July 2008

So Long, Sucky Weather! Part Deux

I made it, hooray! I've never had my carry-on bags checked before, but I hold no delusions the airlines will eventually get around to enforcing the weight and number restrictions (1 piece, 7kg + laptop/camera/handbag etc). Walking past the scales on my way to the departure gate always dredges up recollections of a particularly unlucky soul denied entry to an Air NZ flight because his carry-on suitcase was too big (he might have just left it there, or had to pay more - I don't know). That's usually about the point my palms get sweaty and palpitations arrive (or perhaps it's because I'm dragging twice my bodyweight in luggage onto the plane).

Why do I take so much luggage? Well, for starters, it's actually not much of a challenge to use up the 20kg checked allowance. M plastic suitcase alone weighs at least 5kgs. It's also wiser to take more than you need than too little if going for more than a couple of weeks. I never know how long I'll be away (6 months, 1 week last time) so plan for a month or two at least. That means camera+lenses, tripod, laptop, DVDs, books, and other stuff I don't want to buy all come for the ride.

So anyway, the title. Yup, this is what Shanghai looked like when I arrived.



At least it was warmer than Auckland. In fairness though, it was a sunny day for Shangers. It was snowing when I was here in February.

Those disappearing vertical features turned out to be part of a rather spectacular suspension bridge (spectacular from from my 10mm super wide angle lens at least).




Righto, the tin can awaits again. At least this time I can rest easy, my carry-on is well within spec (can't push my luck!).

No comments: