Wednesday 30 July 2008

The Wrong Hotel, Giant Crustaceans, etc

Asked by a friend if I had a busy day, I replied: Yes.

I woke at 5am, deposited my less frequently used posessions at the hotel storage room, checked out (including some time wasted arguing the unusually excessive room rate - yeah the company pays, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? Besides, a bit of early morning argument is good for the soul), flight to Bangkok, breakfast, flight to Singapore, contend with grumpy airport types, taxi, factory, set up machine, out to dinner at "Singapore's largest seafood restaurant"* with industry people, go to hotel, find it's the wrong hotel (Sorry Sir, you need the Other Holiday Inn), wait 10 minutes for taxi during Singapore's taxi happy hour, taxi to correct hotel, check in, then out to catch up with boss who's also here by chance).
Somewhere in there I also realised I lost an hour going forward one time zone, d'oh.

*The Ah Yat Seafood Restaurant. Their live catch section was impressive, they even had New Zealand lobster ($179/kilo, anyone?) and huge mutant crabs.

I asked my boss earlier if he was going to join us for dinner - he replied with this text message, which I found amusing: "I hate going to seafood places here, they love feeding you poisonous shite and you can't escape". I liked it anyway, particularly the aquarium bit.

No comments: